Another Edition of Punch Drunk Ramblings

Some random blurbs from within the world of boxing: Diaz Emerges from Coma We here at the Ring Report couldn’t be happier to hear the news of Oscar Diaz’ emergence from his coma.¬† The San Antonio welterweight had been in a coma for over two months with a brain injury suffered in a televised fight with Delvin Rodriguez.¬† The worst was feared for Diaz but doctors are optimistic as they report that Diaz has shown improvement and is breathing on his own.¬† We here at the Ring Report hope that Diaz’ condition continues to improve and that a full recovery is in the near future.¬† K2 Promotions¬†Wins Purse Bid with Ungodly Sum of Money ¬†K2 Promotions, the promotional firm owned by Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, won a purse bid last Tuesday to gain the promotional rights for Wladimir’s mandatory IBF heavyweight title defense against Alexander Povetkin.¬† K2’s bid was a jaw-dropping $13,130,130, easily blowing out the only other bid, an $8,114,140 offer from Povetkin promoter Sauerland Event.¬† Under the rules of the IBF, Klitschko is entitled to 75 percent of the bid ($9,847,597.50) while Povetkin will receive the remaining 25 percent ($3,282,532.50).¬† Two things stand out about this announcement, first of all, $13 million is a HUGE sum of money for a fight with a lukewarm reception here in America.¬† This brings me to my second observation, this fight will do HUGE numbers in Germany.¬† Fact is that Klitschko is a superstar in his home base of Germany and with Povetkin having fought there most of his career expect a sell-out crowd and a huge production.¬† While boxing may be regulated to niche sport status here in America, at least we can take solace in the fact that globally the sport is thriving.¬† Though I’m still a bit in awe at the bid amount.¬† I mean 13 million, really? Wall Street¬†Finance Scare Forces Paquiao to Break Camp is reporting that Manny Pacquiao broke his camp in Los Angeles to return to Manila, Sunday night over concerns about his funds, most of which are deposited in one of the Philippines’ largest banks.¬† Pacquiao is currently training for a December 6 superfight with Oscar De La Hoya. Apparently Pacquiao has concerns over the security of his money in light of the recent financial turmoil being experienced here in America.¬† Reports are that once “Pacman” is confident that his finances are safe and in order, then he will resume his training camp in LA.¬† Estimates put him back in camp by Tuesday.¬† Khan¬†Looking to Add Roach as Trainer British lightweight prospect Amir Khan is looking to regain some of the luster that was removed¬†following his shocking knockout loss to Colombian banger Breidis Prescott¬†earlier this month by bringing on¬†renown trainer Freddie Roach.¬†¬†In an interview with Gabriel Montoya of,¬†Roach¬†stated that¬†Khan is set to travel to Los Angeles¬†with his father and his attorney to speak with him.¬†¬†Word is that Khan¬†will¬†workout with Manny Pacquiao¬†while in LA,¬†as he evaluates Roach’s training techniques.¬†¬†¬† Personally, I think bringing Roach on board would be a smart addition to Khan’s team.¬† Roach has a proven track record of making superstar fighters fully utilize their talents and with Khan, a decent puncher with glass whiskers, Roach could teach Khan a thing or two about fighting smart and using a little defense in you fighting style.¬† Cancer Claims Noted Trainer Our deepest condolences go out to the family of noted trainer Oscar Suarez who passed away last Saturday after a short battle with pancreatic cancer.¬† Suarez was 47.¬† In his years as a high profile trainer Suarez earned the reputation of a compassionate man, one who always held the health an well being of his fighters first and foremost.¬† Best know for his work with former featherweight star Naseem Hamed and two division champion Acelino Freitas, Suarez was respected and beloved by many within the industry.¬† In fact in the days leading up to his untimely passing, Freitas traveled from Brazil to Suarez’ home in New Jersey to be with his former trainer.¬† Such sentiment fully illustrates the bond that Suarez formed with his fighters.¬† Our thoughs and prays go out to the Suarez family.¬† Boxing truly lost one of its good guys.¬†

About Tim Starks

Tim is the founder of The Queensberry Rules and co-founder of The Transnational Boxing Rankings Board ( He lives in Washington, D.C. He has written for the Guardian, Economist, New Republic, Chicago Tribune and more.