You know it’s a slow week in boxing when the biggest fight is a Charlo brothers mismatch and the biggest story involves Ronda Rousey. The latter involves her being on the cover of RING Magazine (pictured), and some fans aren’t that impressed since she’s not, you know, a boxer. “Is boxing next?” asks the magazine. “No,” answers everybody. As for that Charlo fight, read on to find out more (not much more, though).
- Jermell Charlo vs Joachim Alcine, Saturday, NBC Sports Net, Houston TX. Junior middleweight contender Charlo (26-0, 11 KO) follows up a win over Vanes Martirosyan with a fight against Haitian-Canadian gatekeeper Alcine (35-7-2, 21 KO), who people were saying was shot nearly half a decade ago. Meanwhile on the undercard junior middleweight prospect Tony Harrison gets back on TV sooner than the guy who knocked him out in his last fight, Willie Nelson. Ain’t that just the way of the world.
- Tony Thompson vs. Malik Scott, Friday, Bounce TV, Orlando Fla. Ancient heavyweight and all-time post-fight interviewee Thompson (40-5, 27 KO) faces Philadelphia’s Scott (37-2-1, 13 KO) in a clash of heavyweight fringe contenders. It’s not going to be a brawl and Thompson is a crafty old bastard, but it could be kind of interesting.
- Ganigan Lopez vs Miguel Herrera, Friday, Telemundo, Mexico City. Flyweights Lopez (25-6, 16 KO) and Herrera (10-2-3, 6 KO, not the former coach of the Mexican football team) do battle in the Mexican capital. Herrera lost to man on debut one fight ago, which suggests he’s a patsy.
- Christopher Diaz vs Karl Garcia, Saturday, UniMas, Kissimmee Fla. Puerto Rican featherweight prospect Diaz (12-0, 7 KO) faces unheralded Floridian Garcia (5-5-1, 1 KO) in a development fight.
- Jose Zepeda vs Jose Alfaro, beIN Sports Español, Saturday, Mexicali. After retiring with a dislocated shoulder in his step up fight with Manchester’s Terry Flanagan, lightweight Zepeda (23-1, 20 KO) looks to bounce back against Alfaro (28-9-1, 24 KO).